Saturday, January 19, 2013

Climbing a Tree

On our walk today around Lake Hollywood, we walked by a group of young men, 20 something years old. They were acting like obnoxious boys scaling the hill and and climbing up a tree. There were three of them in the tree and two were on the ground talking to them. I sensed that they were either too scared to climb the tree. So as we passed they said, "Those guys are stuck in the tree!" My first instinct was to try and help but I knew they were kidding so they could cover up their fear about being up in the tree with them. I said to my husband, "I should have just told them to jump!"



Going deeper into the idea of climbing a tree and the symbology of it starts me pondering.... Am I afraid to climb my tree of bliss or my life? I feel like  I actually climbed a very tall tree last year. Am I stuck? I just want to sit up here and look at the view. I am not ready to jump yet.

I think I want to reconcile with that feeling and make it "okay." I luxuriate in the notion that I can actually climb a tall tree and sit and enjoy the view.

On a call the other day with my wonderful business coach, Michele Scism, asked me the question"What is your vision for 2013? I paused, and laughed, "My vision is foggy." Michele in her simple yet profound way pointed out that I can do anything I want. Her company is aptly named  "Decisive Mind"and here I am at the beginning of the year sitting in a tree looking at the view with nothing decisive about what I want to do in the new year!

Am I fearless? I don't know, I'm just too busy enjoying the view, at the moment...

Yours in fearless tree climbing,

Mary Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment