Friday, January 11, 2013

Stop Whining and Look at the Sky!

Today being the 10th day of my commitment to the 31 Day bog challenge, I realize at 11:45 that I still hadn't written my blog. I'm looking around the internet in between watching Stephen Colbert to find something to inspire me. So many things every day when I pause for a moment, take a breath and look around, I find true wonderment.

Sometimes when I hike Fryman Canyon I pay attention to some of the snippets of conversation that I hear as people pass by on the trail. It's a practice I engage in for my own mental therapy. I feel like Spirit may give me messages through conversations from a hiker/teacher of life that passes me on the trail.


The best message I have eavesdropped is by a mom hiking with her family behind me. Her 10 year old daughter was whining that she was tired of hiking and blah blah blah. This particular day was warm and stunningly beautiful with a blue blue sky and puffs of white clouds that looked like they were painted by Monet. While the girl moaned on and on the mother says, in a very calm but firm voice, "Stop whining, look at the sky." It was a gasp moment for me! This was a zen moment, a gift of a Cohen for me to meditate on again and again.


I have used this inspired message in my life over and over again. It works every time I get depressed and wind up my whine machine. I go outside and look up at the sky or look at a tree or smell a flower and see the real truth of life. It's those moments that change your perspective from dark to light.

When I shared this message I heard on my hike she got it right away. Rebecca does beautiful pottery and decided to create a mug to inspire people to vote. On the mug it read, "Stop Whining and Vote."

I invite you to meditate on this Zen Cohen and see where it takes you. For me, right now, it's going to take me to bed, to dream and to luxuriate in the journey of deep sleep.

Yours in Fearless non-whining,

Mary Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment