Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Discovering the Heart of My Creative Passion

Thank you for those who have been hanging in there with my daily blogging. It's the 22nd day on my 31 day bog challenge. Every day it encourages me to see what inspires me to move creatively forward in my life or... just move forward. I have been looking at "what's next" for me in 2013.

I am blessed to have had a camera placed in my hand 25 plus years ago. I don't even remember the first photograph I have ever taken but I think it was with my parents little Brownie camera and that's way more than 25 years ago.


What has kept me going for so many years is knowing that I will be capturing a moment, an expression, an emotion of another human being, being vulnerable, powerful, scared, joyful sassy and sometimes awesomely fearless. In the beginning of this year, I am rekindling that feeling. It feels good. 

I have created four photo essay books in 16 years. I step back for a moment and lavish in the thought of how amazing that is. Most people dream of creating one book and die with a book in them. So I have been breathing into the success of my accomplishments. A successful book seems to be socially valued by how many people bought it, if it's a "Best Seller" and have you been interviewed by Oprah. I have come to believe that success begins and ends with the fact that you have created a book, a work of art from your heart. 

 

This video of Elizabeth Gilbert speaking on a TED talk makes me realize I am not the only one that is posed with these perplexing questions about creating books, fears and success. She shares that some of her friends say, "Aren't you afraid that you will create another book that no one in the world cares about." Yes, my book Fearless Women, Visions of a New World was a bestseller on Amazon for a day in two categories, a great accomplishment but not the mega hit as Elizabeth Gilbert. However, I do understand alot of what she shares and appreciate her humor and sardonic outlook on success. I am so appreciative of her raw, awkward sensitivity in her expression of who she is. She raises great questions about your "elusive create genious." It is well worth watching.

So I end this post expressing gratitude with this discovery of the heart of my creative passion and rekindling it. Yes, I am fearlessly grateful.

Yours in forever fearless gratitude,

Mary Ann



No comments:

Post a Comment